Elon beats Georgia Southern 57-54
STATESBORO, Ga. (AP)—Adam Constantine’s dunk broke a 54-all tie, and Elon held Georgia Southern scoreless for the last 2 minutes to seal a 57-54 win on Thursday night.
Georgia Southern led by two at halftime, and the teams traded leads in the second half before Ben Drayton III’s layup put the Eagles ahead 54-52 with 3:52 to play. But Brett James hit a jumper 43 seconds later to pull Elon (7-13, 4-8 Southern Conference) even, and Constantine’s slam dunk put the Phoenix up by two with 2 minutes left.
The Phoenix held the Eagles (7-14, 5-8) scoreless from there, and Josh Bonney’s free throw gave Elon its final margin.
James scored 15 points to pace Elon, while Ola Atoyebi and Chris Long added 11 apiece. Constantine finished with four points and 11 rebounds.
Drayton led the Eagles with 17 points, Tyler Troupe had 14 points and 16 boards and Antonio Hanson added 11.
- Elon beats Georgia Southern 57-54
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups