The Citadel beats Appalachian State 74-72
BOONE, N.C. (AP)—Demetrius Nelson scored 22 points and had nine rebounds in The Citadel’s 74-72 win over Appalachian State on Thursday night.
The Bulldogs (14-10, 9-4 Southern Conference) led 61-55 with 7:29 to play on two free throws by Zach Urbanus. But the Mountaineers (9-12, 6-7) closed within two with under a minute left. Marcus Wright hit two free throws with 44 seconds remaining, cutting Appalachian State’s deficit to 74-72.
On The Citadel’s next posession, Wright stole the ball from Cameron Wells, but the Mountaineers’ Donald Sims missed a 3-pointer with 1 second left.
Wells scored 20 points and Urbanus chipped in 13 for the Bulldogs, who won their sixth straight.
Appalachian State was led by Josh Hunter with 18 points. Isaac Butts added 13 points and seven rebounds for the Mountaineers and Donald Sims and Kellen Brand scored 10 points each.
- The Citadel beats Appalachian State 74-72
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0