Sam Houston cruises past A&M-Corpus Christi, 72-51
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP)—Preston Brown scored 21 points and Ashton Mitchell had 11 points and eight assists in Sam Houston State’s 72-51 victory against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Saturday.
Brown put the Bearkats (11-8, 5-1 Southland) ahead for good at 23-21 on a jumper with 6:38 remaining in the first half.
The second half was scoreless until the 16:58 mark, when Mitchell hit a 3-pointer to give Sam Houston its first double-digit lead at 36-26.
Kevin Palmer had 15 points to finish as the only double-digit scorer for the Islanders (11-10, 5-1). Justin Reynolds had 12 rebounds.
- Sam Houston cruises past A&M-Corpus Christi, 72-51
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- Arizona team breakdown