Reed’s 3-pointer helps Kansas stop Colorado 66-61
LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP)—Tyrel Reed’s 3-pointer stopped what would have been a record-breaking comeback and Kansas held on for a 66-61 victory Saturday over Colorado.
The Buffaloes nearly overcame a 21-point second-half deficit while gunning for their first win in Lawrence in 26 years.
Kansas, whose 36-game home winning streak is the longest in the nation, seemed comfortably in front of the 20-point underdogs when Markieff Morris’ 3-point play made it 46-25 less than a minute into the second half.
But then Cory Higgins hit five straight points and the Buffaloes (9-11, 1-5 Big 12) went on a 27-8 run and got within two points of the school that’s beaten them 40 of their last 41 games.
Reed’s 3-pointer gave Kansas (17-4, 6-0) a 57-52 lead with 5:43 left.
Dwight Thorne’s bucket made it 64-61, but then Sherron Collins, struggling with his shot all day, sank two free throws.
Cole Aldrich had 15 points and 13 rebounds for Kansas, while Collins had 11 points and Morris and Brady Morningstar had 10 each. Thorne had 18 points and Higgins 15 for Colorado.
- Reed's 3-pointer helps Kansas stop Colorado 66-61
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0