Utah State outlasts Fresno State 83-77 in OT
FRESNO, Calif. (AP)—Gary Wilkinson scored 33 points on 14-of-17 shooting as Utah State extended its winning streak to 16 games by outlasting Fresno State 83-77 in overtime Saturday night.
The Aggies survived a 60-foot heave by Fresno State’s Sylvester Seay that sent the game into overtime.
Jared Quayle added 18 points and six assists and Tai Wesley had 16 points for Utah State (21-1 overall, 9-0 Western Athletic Conference).
Seay led Fresno State (9-13, 1-6) with 20 points, including a dramatic shot from well beyond halfcourt after receiving an inbounds pass with 0.6 seconds left in regulation. Paul George added 19 points and Mychal Ladd had 15 for the Bulldogs, who were outscored 11-5 in the extra period.
After Utah State scored the first five points in overtime, Fresno State stormed back to tie the game at 77-77 on an unlikely, behind-the-head layup by Nedeljko Golubovic, who was trying to draw a foul.
Tyler Newbold’s three-pointer with 1:35 left on the Aggies’ next possession put Utah State ahead for good. Wilkinson and Qualye each scored four points in overtime. Qualye also had a key steal, tipping away a George pass with 22 seconds left and Fresno State trailing 80-77.
Wilkinson’s two free throws with 10.3 seconds left sealed the victory and continued the Aggies’ best start in school history. Utah State shot 60 percent from the floor, using a patient half-court offense to consistently get good looks. The Aggies outscored Fresno State 42-16 in the paint.
Fresno State played from behind most of the game, taking its only lead of the second half on two George free throws with 2:16 remaining.
Utah State led 33-29 at halftime thanks in large part to Wilkinson’s 16 points on 8 of 10 shooting.
The Aggies shot 61.5 percent from the floor, taking advantage of Wilkinson and Wesley’s strength inside.
Seay had eight first-half points for Fresno State, including a corner three-pointer that put the Bulldogs ahead 27-26 with 4:03 left.
Utah State immediately regained the lead on a patient layup buy Wesley, who waited for two Bulldogs defenders to leave their feet.
Quayle’s three-pointer with 20 seconds left put the Aggies up by four points at halftime.
Fresno State played without senior guard Dwight O’Neil, suspended indefinitely following a Friday arrest for outstanding warrants on a suspended driver’s license.
- Utah State outlasts Fresno State 83-77 in OT
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- South Carolina stifles Baylor en route to Elite Eight
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Lonzo Ball 'looked disinterested', 'had one eye on the NBA'
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look