Evansville beats S. Ilinois 60-56
EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP)—Shy Ely scored 18 of his 22 points in the second half Saturday night as Evansville held off Southern Illinois 60-56.
A 13-2 run at the end of the first half gave the Salukis (10-11, 5-5 Missouri Valley) a 27-24 lead at the break. But baskets by Ely and Jason Holsinger started a comeback for the Aces (13-7, 5-5) at the beginning of the second period.
The game was tied for the final time at 40 before two straight baskets by Ely put Evansville on top for good. The Aces took their biggest lead at 52-43 on two free throws by Ely before Southern Illinois’ final comeback.
A 3-pointer by Justin Bocot pulled the Salukis within 56-54 with 24 seconds left, but Holsinger and Ely hit two free throws each to seal the victory.
Holsinger finished with 13 points and eight assists. Bocot led Southern Illinois with 12 points, and Tony Boyle added 11.
- Evansville beats S. Ilinois 60-56
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown