Long Beach State beats UC Irvine
IRVINE, Calif. (AP)—Stephan Gilling made two free throws with 2.9 seconds left to help Long Beach State edge UC Irvine to a 67-63 victory on Saturday.
Long Beach State (11-9, 6-2 Big West) had an 11-point lead at 58-47 with 5:01 left in the game after Brian Freeman sank a three-pointer. The Anteaters (7-14, 4-4) went on a 9-1 run to close the game to one point at 59-58 with 1:19 left.
The 49ers went 13-for-23 from the free throw line in the second half to allow Irvine to stay in the game.
Gilling made one-of-two free throws with 13.4 seconds left to give the 49ers a 65-60 lead. Irvine guard Patrick Rembert sank a three-pointer with 4.1 seconds left to cut the Long Beach lead to two points before Gilling made his two free throws with 2.9 seconds left to put the game away.
T.J. Robinson scored 20 points with nine rebounds, Larry Anderson had 11 points and six rebounds and Casper Ware added 10 points for the 49ers.
Eric Wise scored 19 points with nine rebounds and Michael Hunter added 13 points for the Anteaters.
- Whatever happened to Harold Miner, the original 'Baby Jordan'?
- Texas Tech upsets No. 14 Iowa State 85-82 in OT
- Tulsa rallies to hand No. 16 SMU 1st home loss 82-77
- Thornwell leads South Carolina to 94-83 win over LSU
- Hayes, Brown lead Wisconsin to 72-61 win over Nebraska
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics