Sacred Heart beats St. Francis, NY 71-51
FAIRFIELD, Conn. (AP)—Chauncey Hardy scored 19 points, all in the first half, as Sacred Heart cruised to a 71-51 victory over St. Francis, N.Y., on Thursday night.
Joey Henley added 14 points and 13 rebounds as the Pioneers (9-11,6-4 Northeast Conference) won their third straight.
Jamaal Womack led St. Francis (6-14, 4-6) with 11 points.
Sacred Heart led by double digits most of the first half, as St.Francis missed its first nine 3-point attempts. The Pioneers held the Terriers to 37 percent shooting in the half and led 38-24 at the break.
St. Francis pulled within 40-31 with 17:31 left in the second half on a 3-pointer by Womack, but Corey Hassan answered with three successive 3-pointers to reestablish Sacred Heart?s double-digit lead. Hassan finished with 12 points, and Ryon Howard added 10.
Sacred Heart out-rebounded St. Francis 39-25.
- Sacred Heart beats St. Francis, NY 71-51
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?