Hawaii beats Louisiana Tech 54-53 on last shot
RUSTON, La. (AP)—Petras Balocka’s layup at the buzzer propelled Hawaii to a 54-53 win over Louisiana Tech on Thursday night.
The Bulldogs blew a five-point halftime lead, as the Warriors came out of the break on a 13-3 run. The Warriors (10-10, 2-6 Western Athletic Conference) maintained the lead until David Jackson hit two free throws, tying the game at 50 with 26 seconds left.
A pair of foul shots by Hiram Thompson put Hawaii ahead by two, but Jamel Guyton’s late 3-pointer put the Bulldogs (8-13, 2-6) up 53-52. After a timeout, Hawaii’s Bill Hamis pulled up for the winning jumper and missed. Balocka was there for the rebound and game-winner.
Roderick Flemings led the Warriors with 17 points, Amis had 14 and Balocka finished with 10.
Guyton scored 14 to lead the Bulldogs.
The Warriors have beaten the Bulldogs for their only two WAC wins this season.
- Hawaii beats Louisiana Tech 54-53 on last shot
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0