Winthrop 56, N.C.-Asheville 49
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP)—Andre Jones scored 15 points to lead Winthrop in a 56-49 win over UNC Asheville on Wednesday night.
Byron Faison added 12 points and George Valentine chipped in with 10 for the Eagles (6-13, 5-5 Big South Conference). Winthrop has won five of their last eight games since dropping 10 straight after winning its season opener.
Matt Dickey scored 11 points to lead the Bulldogs (9-12, 5-5) and Sean Smith added 10. John Williams grabbed 10 rebounds.
The Bulldogs have lost three of their last four games.
The Eagles hit 20 of 52 (38.5 percent) from the field, compared to a 15 of 45 mark (33.3 percent) for the Bulldogs. But Winthrop hit 10 3-pointers, while the Bulldogs managed just five.
- Winthrop 56, N.C.-Asheville 49
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch (Video)
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Lonzo Ball 'looked disinterested,' and 'had one eye on the NBA'
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare