Mitchell scores 36 in 112-105 SHSU win over Lamar
BEAMOUNT, Texas (AP)—Ashton Mitchell scored 36 points, including 22 free throws, to lead Sam Houston State to a 112-105 double-overtime victory over Lamar.
Mitchell led the Bearkats (10-8, 4-1 Southland) in scoring by making 7-of-15 field goals and 22-of-27 free throws.
DeLuis Ramirez and Corey Allmond scored 18 while Preston Brown, Lance Pevehouse and Barkley Falkner scored 14, 13 and 11 points, respectively.
Brandon McThay helped keep the Cardinals (11-8, 2-4) close with 22 points and a perfect 10-for-10 from the free throw line.
Ashton Hall, Jay Brown and Charlie Harper scored 16, 13 and 12 points, respectively, while Kenny Dawkins, Skyler Williams and Coy Custer scored 10 points each.
Sam Houston State made 50 percent of its field goals while Lamar shot 46 percent overall.
- Mitchell scores 36 in 112-105 SHSU win over Lamar
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0