Mays’ 3 leads NC State past Miami 84-81 in OT
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP)—Freshman Julius Mays buried a straightaway 3-pointer with 2.6 seconds left in overtime to help North Carolina State beat Miami 84-81 on Tuesday night.
Courtney Fells had 24 points to lead the Wolfpack (11-7, 2-4 Atlantic Coast Conference), who blew a 19-point lead early in the second half and a pair of leads late in regulation and the extra period before holding on to end a two-game losing streak. Brandon Costner added 21 points and Ben McCauley had 12.
Mays finished with six points, but the backup point guard came up with the game’s biggest play. With the clock winding down in a tie game, Mays pulled up over Brian Asbury and launched a 3-pointer that looked desperate.
Instead the shot dropped through the net, forcing the Hurricanes (14-6, 3-4) to rely on a halfcourt heave from Lance Hurdle that hit the backboard and rim before falling away.
- Mays' 3 leads NC State past Miami 84-81 in OT
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Ill-advised shots, empty possessions fuel Arizona's stunning late collapse
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0