South Carolina State tops North Carolina A&T 71-53
ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP)—Jason Johnson scored 16 points to lead South Carolina State to a 71-53 win over North Carolina A&T on Monday night.
Johnson added 10 rebounds for the Bulldogs (7-11, 2-4 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference). Jason Flagler had 15 points and 11 rebounds, while Jimmy Williams chipped in with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
South Carolina State jumped out to a quick 9-0 lead behind six straight points by Jessie Burton. N.C. A&T’s Tavarus Alston hit a 3-pointer to stop the run, but the Bulldogs responded with a 12-2 spurt, taking a 21-5 lead with 15:19 remaining in the first half.
South Carolina State led 42-27 at halftime, and led by 12 points or more the rest of the way.
The Aggies (8-12, 3-4) were paced by Ed Jones, who scored 16. Alston chipped in with 12.
N.C. A&T was outrebounded 44-30, and only shot 29.6 percent from the field (21-for-71).
- Butler upends Old Dominion on buzzer-beating tip-in
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case