Belmont beats Mercer 86-82 in OT
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Alex Renfroe finished with 24 points and 18 rebounds as Belmont defeated Mercer 86-82 in overtime on Monday night.
Renfroe shot 10-for-13 from the field. Andy Wicke added 18 points for the Bruins (12-7, 8-2 Atlantic Sun Conference).
Trailing 74-71 with less than one minute left in regulation, Mercer’s Mark Hall made a 3-pointer with 41 seconds left to force overtime. Renfroe’s potential game-winner with eight seconds remaining was off target.
In overtime, Belmont took a three-point lead after Shane Dansby’s layup with 53 seconds left made the score 81-78. After Matthew Dotson split a pair of free throws, Mercer’s James Florence made a layup with 16 seconds remaining to cut the lead to 82-80. But Wicke and Henry Harris both made a pair of free throws to seal the game.
The Bears (10-10, 4-5) were led by Florence, who scored 25.
- Belmont beats Mercer 86-82 in OT
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four