Cal State Northridge beats UC Irvine 74-55
LOS ANGELES (AP)—Willie Galick scored 19 points and took 11 rebounds in a reserve role, and Josh Jenkins scored eight of his 17 points to cap a decisive second-half run to lead Cal State Northridge to a 74-55 victory over UC Irvine on Saturday.
Galick made 11 of 14 free throws for the Matadors (7-10, 4-3 Big West), and he scored six straight points to give Northridge a 13-11 lead with 6 minutes, 19 seconds remaining in the first half. Jenkins scored eight straight points in 52 seconds to complete a 18-1 run and give the Matadors a 70-52 lead with 2:19 to play.
Rob Haynes scored eight of his 12 points in the first half. At one point, Haynes had made 3 of 4 from the field with the rest of the team 0 for 9. The Matadors shook off a first half in which they made just 8 of 24 from the field (33 percent) to shoot 50 percent (15 of 30) in the second half. Tremaine Townsend took 15 rebounds for Northridge, which outrebounded the Anteaters 42-31.
Irvine (6-13, 3-3) shot 30 percent (14 of 47) from the field. Brett Lauer scored 17 points and Michael Hunter scored 13 points.
- New Mexico State defeats San Jose State 90-69
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case