La Salle beats Massachusetts 62-54
AMHERST, Mass. (AP)—Rodney Green scored 22 points and made clutch contributions in the second half to help La Salle to a 62-54 win over Massachusetts on Saturday.
The Explorers (11-7, 2-2 Atlantic 10 Conference) were clinging to a 51-50 lead when Green made back-to-back baskets to preserve the victory. Kimmani Barrett, with 11 points, was the only other double-figure scorer for La Salle.
La Salle led 34-28 at halftime.
UMass (7-ll, 2-3 A-10) was in front only three times, the last at 10-9 in the early minutes.
Tony Gaffney led the Minutemen with 19 points and 11 rebounds. Chris Lowe added 10 points and three assists.
La Salle dominated the first half, leading by as many as 13 points (33-20) near the intermission.
- La Salle beats Massachusetts 62-54
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina