Illinois State wins 70-63 over Southern Illinois
NORMAL, Ill. (AP)—Champ Oguchi scored a game-high 17 points, including 10 straight in the first half, to lead Illinois State to a 70-63 victory over Southern Illinois Saturday night.
Three other Redbirds were in the double digits. Lloyd Philips had 15, Osiris Eldridge added 12 and Emmanuel Holloway chipped in 11 for Illinois State (17-3, 6-3 Missouri Valley).
Southern Illinois (9-11, 4-5) scored the first five points of the game and the score was tied three times in the first half. But Dinma Odiakosa connected on a jumper at 14:06, giving the Redbirds an 11-9 lead. Illinois State never trailed again.
Illinois State led 42-31 at halftime.
The Redbirds had a game-high lead of 18 points in the opening minutes of the second half, which the Salukis cut to the single digits, to 53-44, on a jumper by Anthony Booker with 12:16 remaining.
Justin Bocot had 14 points and eight rebounds and Tony Boyle added 11 points for the Salukis.
- Illinois State wins 70-63 over Southern Illinois
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game