Holy Cross beats American U. 71-62
WORCESTER, Mass. (AP)—Colin Cunningham had 20 points, 7 assists and 4 steals as R.J. Evans added 16 points to help Holy Cross to a 71-62 victory over American University on Saturday.
Derrick Mercer paced American (11-7 overall, 3-1 Patriot League) with team-high 19 points. Brian Gilmore added 17 for the Eagles and Garrison Carr had 12.
Holy Cross (9-11, 4-1) had led 45-26 before American stormed back to make it a two-point, 48-46 ballgame with eight minutes remaining. But baskets by Cunningham and Evans, coupled by Pat Doherty free throws, kept the Eagles at bay.
Turnovers hampered American early on, as Holy Cross went on a 12-2 run in the first half to get separation. American’s 11 first-half turnovers led to 18 Crusader points.
Eric Meister contributed 12 points to Holy Cross, which shot 52 percent from the field for the game and led at halftime, 36-24.
- Washington State rallies for OT victory
- SoCon officials delay decision on moving championships
- Sixteen-team PK80 tournament set for next year in Portland
- South Carolina won't bid for North Carolina NCAA games
- Kevin Love makes big donation to UCLA basketball facility
- Iowa's Big 4 classic extended through 2019