Elon edges Chattanooga 86-85 in second overtime
ELON, N.C. (AP)—Ola Atoyebi scored 22 points, including the game-winning free throw with 42.6 seconds left in the second overtime, to lift Elon to an 86-85 win over Chattanooga on Saturday night.
Brett James scored 25 points and had 14 rebounds to lead Elon (5-11, 2-5 Southern Conference), which snapped a seven-game losing streak and ended Chattanooga’s winning streak at five.
Josh Bonney’s jumper gave Elon an 85-83 lead, but Ty Patterson tied the score at 85-85 with 1:23 left.
After Atoyebi, who had 11 rebounds, hit one of two free throws, Patterson missed three free throws for Chattanooga (9-11, 5-4).
Adam Constantine had 13 points and 10 rebounds for the Phoenix.
Kevin Goffney scored 23 points and had 10 rebounds for Chattanooga. Stephen McDowell scored 19 points, Nicchaeus Doaks and Keyron Sheard had 13 points each and Khalil Hartwell added 10 points.
- Elon edges Chattanooga 86-85 in second overtime
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0