Blount scores 20 as Loyola downs Detroit 72-66
DETROIT (AP)—J.R. Blount scored 20 points Saturday and Walt Gibler added five of his 13 points during a late rally to help Loyola of Chicago top Detroit 72-66.
The host Titans’ Eulis Stephens scored with less than six minutes to play to tie the game at 58, but the Ramblers (12-9, 4-5 Horizon League) put the game away during a four-minute, 7-0 run. Gibler, who finished with eight rebounds, ended the decisive streak by converting a three-point play.
Darrin Williams also had 13 points for Loyola, which scored 20 points off 13 Titans turnovers.
Woody Payne scored 20 points and Thomas Kennedy added 15 for Detroit (4-14, 0-9), which lost its seventh straight.
- Blount scores 20 as Loyola downs Detroit 72-66
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- South Carolina stifles Baylor en route to Elite Eight
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster