Cal Poly rallies to beat UC Davis
DAVIS, Calif. (AP)—Lorenzo Keeler scored 19 points and Chaz Thomas made two 3-pointers in the final 80 seconds as Cal Poly rallied to beat UC Davis 77-75 on Saturday night.
Titus Shelton added 17 points and six rebounds for the Mustangs (5-12, 2-5 Big West Conference). Cal Poly trailed by 16 points with 9:08 remaining but held the Aggies to just one basket and five points the rest of the way to win their second straight after a seven-game losing streak.
Joe Harden had 16 points and 11 rebounds to lead five Davis players in double figures. The Aggies (9-11, 4-3) went more than eight minutes without a field goal in the second half and missed a chance to pull within one game of first-place Long Beach State, which lost to UC Riverside.
Thomas, the Mustangs’ leading scorer, didn’t take a shot the entire first half and didn’t score until nearly five minutes were gone in the second half. But his first 3-pointer with 1:19 left to play capped a 19-2 run and gave Cal Poly its first lead of the game, 73-72.
Vince Oliver scored on a reverse layup for Davis, but Thomas sank another shot from beyond the arc to make it 76-74. After the two teams traded free throws, the Aggies had one final chance, but Oliver shot an airball that Keeler caught underneath the basket as time ran out.
The Mustangs opened the season 3-5 but lost their next seven before beating Pacific 76-60 in Stockton on Thursday. They fell behind by 12 in the first half against Davis and were reeling after Mark Payne’s steal and breakaway layup gave the Aggies a 70-54 lead midway through the second half.
But John Manley and David Hanson came off the bench to score five points apiece and Keeler added four to spark Cal Poly’s comeback. Thomas followed with back-to-back 3-pointers to silence the Davis crowd while giving the Mustangs their first consecutive wins since beating Davis and Pacific last January.
Shawn Lewis had 13 points for Cal Poly, which won its fifth straight over the Aggies and leads the all-time series between the two teams 27-10.
Dominic Calegari scored 15 points and Oliver added 11 points for Davis, which led 41-37 at halftime.
- Cal Poly rallies to beat UC Davis
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Lonzo Ball 'looked disinterested', 'had one eye on the NBA'
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- South Carolina stifles Baylor en route to Elite Eight
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin