BYU defeats San Diego St. 77-71
PROVO, Utah (AP)—Jonathan Tavernari and Lee Cummard scored 16 points apiece to lead BYU to a 77-71 win over San Diego State on Saturday night.
The duo combined to make 7-of-11 from 3-point range for the Cougars (15-4, 3-2 Mountain West), who shot 56 percent from the field and 52 percent from behind the arc. Lamont Morgan Jr. came off the bench to add 12 points and five assists for BYU.
The Cougars took a 41-32 lead into the break, but San Diego State (13-5, 3-2) closed the margin to 70-66 late in the second half. A 3-pointer by Tavernari with 1:30 remaining helped seal the win for the Cougars.
Lorenzo Wade led San Diego State with 18 points, while Mehdi Cheriet added 14 points and Tim Shelton finished with 11.
The Aztecs’ leading scorer, Kyle Spain, scored five points to give him 999 for his career. He sat out the final eight minutes after yelling at assistant coach Mark Fisher and then arguing with head coach Steve Fisher.
- BYU defeats San Diego St. 77-71
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four