Alabama State knocks off Southern 64-60
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP)—Andrew Hayles scored 20 points to lead Alabama State to its seventh consecutive win, a 64-60 victory over Southern University on Saturday night.
Chief Kickingstallionsims added 12 points and nine rebounds for the Hornets (9-7, 6-0 Southwestern Athletic Conference), who haven’t lost since a 77-72 defeat to Auburn on Dec. 22.
Southern (3-16, 3-4), which had won two straight games, held a 28-24 halftime lead.
The Jaguars hit nine 3-pointers, but Alabama State countered by going 24 of 50 from the field (48 percent) and hitting all 10 of its free-throw attempts.
Southern was just 11 of 19 from the free-throw line (57.8 percent).
Roland Fitch added 12 points for the Hornets.
Chris Davis led Southern with 16 points, Steffon Wiley added 13 points and Barry Honore’ had 11 points.
- Andy Roddick tearfully bids farewell to tennis after career-ending loss
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims