McKnight scores 29 to lead Akron over Kent 68-54
AKRON, Ohio (AP)—Brett McKnight scored 29 points to lead Akron over visiting Kent State 68-54 on Saturday.
McKnight led all scorers while only playing 24 minutes. Chris McKnight added 11 points for the Zips.
Akron (10-8, 2-3) scored 21 points off 18 Kent State turnovers, achieving a 14-point halftime advantage it wouldn’t relinquish despite a more competitive second half.
Kent State (8-11, 1-4) shot a paltry 28 percent (8-of-29) from the field in the first half, digging an early hole that couldn’t be overcome by a stronger second half. The Golden Flashes pulled ahead by one point with about 8:20 in the final period but then Akron went on a run to close out the game.
Anthony Simpson led Kent State with 16 points and 16 rebounds.
- McKnight scores 29 to lead Akron over Kent 68-54
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2