Western Kentucky holds off La.-Lafayette 73-68
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (AP)—A.J. Slaughter scored 17 points to lead five players in double figures as Western Kentucky defeated Louisiana-Lafayette 73-68 on Thursday night.
The Hilltoppers (13-6, 7-1 Sun Belt Conference) dictated the pace, trailing only once early in the first half and sending the Ragin’ Cajuns (6-12, 3-4) to their third consecutive loss.
Despite Louisiana-Lafayette’s late charge, which cut the lead to three with less than 1 minute left, Western Kentucky held on for the victory.
Western Kentucky shot 56 percent in the first half and led 39-32 at halftime.
Jeremy Evans scored 16 points, Orlando Mendez-Valdez had 13 points, Sergio Kerusch added 11 and Steffphon Pettigrew chipped in with 10 points for Western Kentucky.
Chris Gradnigo led Louisiana-Lafayette with 23 points, Ryan McCoy added 17 and La’Ryan Gary added 10 points.
- Western Kentucky holds off La.-Lafayette 73-68
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina