The Citadel pulls away from Western Carolina 66-52
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP)—Demetrius Nelson and Zach Urbanus scored 16 points each to lead The Citadel to a 66-52 victory over Western Carolina on Thursday night.
Nelson’s output gave him 1,001 points for his career, making him the 25th player to surpass that mark at The Citadel (9-10, 4-4 Southern Conference).
Western Carolina (9-8, 4-3) led 28-27 at halftime, but the Bulldogs were 14 of 20 from the field (70 percent) in the second half, and shot 61 percent (25 of 41) for the game.
The Catamounts shot only 37.5 percent from the field (9 of 24) in the second half.
The teams were tied at 35 when The Citadel went on a 16-2 run for a 51-37 lead with 7:56 left in the game. The lead reached 62-42 on Nelson’s jumper with 3:23 remaining.
Cameron Wells added 10 points for the Bulldogs.
Brandon Giles led Western Carolina with 11 points.
- Marcus and Markieff Morris certainly aren’t lacking confidence
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy