Jones scores 26 to lead USF past DePaul
TAMPA, Fla. (AP)—Dominique Jones scored 26 points and Augustus Gilchrist had 16 points and 11 rebounds to help South Florida beat DePaul 70-61 on Tuesday night.
The Bulls (7-11, 2-4 Big East) beat the Blue Demons (8-11, 0-6) for the second time in 10 days, and defeated a conference foe twice in the same season for just the second time since entering the Big East in 2005.
Following up on a 35-point effort in a 62-59 loss at West Virginia, Jones made eight of 19 shots and went 9-for-11 at the foul line. He also finished with 10 rebounds and six assists, while Gilchrist put USF ahead for good on a 3-pointer with just under seven minutes to go.
DePaul began the second half with a 14-2 run to take a 42-37 lead, however South Florida responded with a 10-0 spurt to regain control.
Dar Tucker led the Blue Demons with 19 points and Mac Koshwal scored 17.
- Jones scores 26 to lead USF past DePaul
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown