Winthrop tops Charleston Southern 65-63
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP)—Mantoris Robinson had 16 points and seven rebounds in Winthrop’s 65-63 win over Charleston Southern on Tuesday night.
Robinson scored a layup with 48 seconds left to put Winthrop (5-12, 4-4 Big South Conference) in the lead for good with a 61-60 advantage. After Reggie Middleton hit two free throws, Robinson scored on two more to give the Eagles a 65-60 lead with 9 seconds to go.
Charleston Southern’s Omar Carter hit a 3-pointer with 1 second left for the final margin.
Andre Jones added 15 points for Winthrop, while Raymond Davis and George Valentine scored 10 each.
Jamarco Warren led Charleston Southern (5-12, 1-6) with 19 points. Giedrius Knysas added 14 points and Carter chipped in 10 points and seven rebounds for the Buccaneers, who lost their ninth straight.
- Winthrop tops Charleston Southern 65-63
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback