Howard defeats South Carolina State 74-65
WASHINGTON (AP)—Eugene Myatt scored 25 points and Howard held on for its first consecutive wins of the season in a 74-65 victory over South Carolina State on Monday night.
Randy Hampton scored 13 points and Kyle Riley added 12 for the Bison (3-14, 1-3 Mid-Eastern Conference), who led 45-35 at halftime after their highest-scoring half this season.
Jason Johnson scored 14 points for the Bulldogs (6-10, 1-3), who closed the deficit to 70-65 on Carrio Bennett’s leaning jump shot after trailing by as many as 14 in the second half. But Howard hit four of its last six foul shots to ensure South Carolina State its fourth-straight loss.
Howard, Washington D.C.’s only historic black college, enjoyed its largest crowd of the season, 2,531, at Burr Gym on Martin Luther King Day evening. The game was played less than 24 hours before President-elect Barack Obama’s scheduled inauguration Tuesday.
- Howard defeats South Carolina State 74-65
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims