Hampton beats Winston-Salem 59-43
HAMPTON, Va. (AP)—Vincent Simpson scored 12 points and Hampton beat Winston-Salem State 59-43 on Sunday night.
The Pirates (9-8) jumped out to a 13-2 lead in the first seven minutes and led 32-17 at halftime.
Winston-Salem State (4-12) was 6-for-25 from the field in the first half (24 percent) as Hampton had its biggest lead, 32-14, with 1:03 before intermission on a layup by Michael Freeman.
The Rams reduced the deficit to 10 points four times in the second half, but their 43.5 percent shooting effort in the half (10 of 23) wasn’t enough. It was the Rams’ fourth straight loss.
Brandon Tunnell added seven points and nine assists, and Donte Harrison scored nine points for the Pirates.
Winston-Salem was led by Paul Davis with 12 points and 12 rebounds. Jamal Durham and Brian Fisher chipped in 11 points each for the Rams.
- Hampton beats Winston-Salem 59-43
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- South Carolina stifles Baylor en route to Elite Eight
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster