Chowan beats North Carolina Central 72-70
DURHAM, N.C. (AP)—Aaron Scott hit a 3-pointer with 15 seconds left to give Chowan a 72-70 win over North Carolina Central on Saturday night.
Chowan trailed 68-65 with 1:57 left before two free throws from Charles Rhodes and two more by Layth Mansour. With the Hawks (9-7) leading 69-68 with :52 seconds left, before Stevy Worah-Ozimo hit a jump shot to put the Eagles up 70-69 with 0:33 left.
Rhodes led Chowan with 19 points. Lando Morrison, Aaron Scott and Jaleel Nelson scored 13 apiece, which Mansour finished with 10.
The Eagles (3-18) were led by Jamar Briscoe with 31 points, including 10-for-10 from the free-throw line. Worah-Ozimo chipped in 13 points, and Vincent Davis and Bryan Ayala each added 10 for the Eagles.
The Eagles, who hit 3 of 9 3-pointers in the first half which they led 29-27, made just 16.7 percent (2 of 12) from long range in the second.
- Chowan beats North Carolina Central 72-70
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown