Hampton defeats South Carolina State 74-60
HAMPTON, Va. (AP)—Vincent Simpson scored 34 points and Hampton defeated South Carolina State 74-60 on Saturday night.
Simpson went 9-for-13 from 3-point range and hit 11-of-19 shots from the field.
Hampton (8-8, 3-1 Mid-Eastern Conference) shot 58.3 percent in the first half (14 of 24), while the Bulldogs shot 22.7 percent (5 of 22). The Pirates led 45-24 at the end of the half.
Christopher Tolson had 15 points and Brandon Tunnell added 10 for Hampton.
Jason Johnsonk, Josh Jackson and Jason Flagler each scored 11 points for the Bulldogs (6-9, 1-2).
Hampton scored 20 points off of 25 South Carolina State turnovers.
The Pirates were 14-for-27 (51.9 percent) from 3-point range, including a 9 of 13 performance by Simpson.
- Hampton defeats South Carolina State 74-60
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?