Virginia Commonwealth beats Old Dominion 61-44
RICHMOND, Va. (AP)—Larry Sanders scored 16 points and Virginia Commonwealth defeated Old Dominion 61-44 on Saturday.
Eric Maynor added 12 points and nine assists for the Rams, and Brandon Rozzell added a career-high 12 points.
Ben Finney had 11 points and Gerald Lee scored 10 along with a season-high 11 rebounds for the Monarchs.
Virginia Commonwealth (12-3, 6-1 Colonial Athletic Association) rushed to a 20-8 lead with 11:20 remaining in the first half. Old Dominion (10-7, 3-4) rallied to cut the margin to 20-18 with 8:20 left, hitting five straight field goals, three by Frank Hassell. Virginia Commonwealth took a 35-26 halftime lead when Rozzell canned a 3-pointer with 2.4 seconds left.
The Rams had a double-digit lead for the final 12:17 of the game, leading by as many as 18.
- Virginia Commonwealth beats Old Dominion 61-44
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four