Vermont beats Stony Brook 83-72
STONY BROOK, N.Y. (AP)—Junior Marqus Blakely scored 20 points, including the 1,000th of his career, and Vermont beat Stony Brook 83-72 on Saturday.
Blakely was 7-for-10 from the field and had five rebounds, three steals and two blocks for the Catamounts (11-6, 2-2 America East). He became the 28th player in Vermont history to reach 1,000 points.
Mike Trimboli added 15 points and five assists for the Catamounts, while Joey Accaoui had a career-high 15 points, Maurice Joseph had 12—all on 3-pointers—and Nick Vier added 11.
Chris Martin had 17 points for Stony Brook (9-8, 1-3), while Muhammad El-Amin added 15, Dallis Joyner 14 and Bryan Dougher 13.
Blakely made two free throws with 11:22 left to give Vermont a 51-39 lead, but Stony Brook responded with an 18-7 run over the next 6:21 to get within 58-57.
Vermont then went on a 16-3 run to go ahead 73-60.
- Vermont beats Stony Brook 83-72
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four