Troy edges Louisiana-Monroe 71-70
MONROE, La. (AP)—Brandon Hazzard scored 13 points and hit a key 3-pointer to lift Troy to a 71-70 win over Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday.
The Trojans (9-10, 4-3 Sun Belt Conference), who trailed 40-36 at halftime, moved into the lead at 66-65 with 3:23 left on a Richard Delk basket.
Louisiana-Monroe (5-13, 1-6) regained the advantage on a Malcolm Thomas jumper, then Delk missed the front end of a one-and-one.
Hazzard hit his 3-pointer with 31 seconds left to give Troy a 69-67 lead and teammate Michael Vogler added two free throws with 16 seconds on the clock. After Louisiana-Monroe’s Lawrence Gilbert hit a 3-pointer with 3 seconds remaining, the Warhawks ran out of time.
Delk added 12 points and five rebounds for Troy.
Thomas led Louisiana-Monroe with 20 points on 7-of-19 shooting. Gilbert had 17 points and 11 rebounds and Dynile Ford added 15 points.
- Duke basketball's Goodfellas poster
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs