McNeese State holds off Lamar 75-63
LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP)—Diego Kapelan scored 26 points to lead McNeese State to a 75-63 victory over Lamar on Saturday.
McNeese State (7-8, 1-1 Southland Conference), which led throughout the second half, used a 14-5 run to build a 64-53 lead with 7:28 remaining in the second half.
C.J. Collins hit consecutive 3-pointers to key the run, but Lamar (10-6, 1-2) cut the margin to 67-61 on Jay Brown’s free throw with 1:48 remaining.
However, the Cowboys, who improved to 6-1 at home this season, secured the victory on Stephan Martin’s two free throws for a 69-61 lead with 1:06 remaining.
P.J. Alawoya scored 14 points and Collins added 13 points for McNeese State.
Ashton Hall led Lamar with 14 points. Brown scored 13 and had 13 rebounds, Tristan Worrell added 12 points and Brandon McThay had 12 for the Cardinals.
- Lil' Romeo's underwhelming USC career comes to an end
- Defending champion Oregon picked to repeat as Pac-12 winner
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has a sudden wealth of depth
- NCAA accuses Louisville, Pitino of violations in escort case
- Arizona adds to 2017 class with Lee's commitment
- Two conferences to experiment with restricted arc appeals