McNeese State holds off Lamar 75-63
LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP)—Diego Kapelan scored 26 points to lead McNeese State to a 75-63 victory over Lamar on Saturday.
McNeese State (7-8, 1-1 Southland Conference), which led throughout the second half, used a 14-5 run to build a 64-53 lead with 7:28 remaining in the second half.
C.J. Collins hit consecutive 3-pointers to key the run, but Lamar (10-6, 1-2) cut the margin to 67-61 on Jay Brown’s free throw with 1:48 remaining.
However, the Cowboys, who improved to 6-1 at home this season, secured the victory on Stephan Martin’s two free throws for a 69-61 lead with 1:06 remaining.
P.J. Alawoya scored 14 points and Collins added 13 points for McNeese State.
Ashton Hall led Lamar with 14 points. Brown scored 13 and had 13 rebounds, Tristan Worrell added 12 points and Brandon McThay had 12 for the Cardinals.
- McNeese State holds off Lamar 75-63
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?