McNeese State holds off Lamar 75-63
LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP)—Diego Kapelan scored 26 points to lead McNeese State to a 75-63 victory over Lamar on Saturday.
McNeese State (7-8, 1-1 Southland Conference), which led throughout the second half, used a 14-5 run to build a 64-53 lead with 7:28 remaining in the second half.
C.J. Collins hit consecutive 3-pointers to key the run, but Lamar (10-6, 1-2) cut the margin to 67-61 on Jay Brown’s free throw with 1:48 remaining.
However, the Cowboys, who improved to 6-1 at home this season, secured the victory on Stephan Martin’s two free throws for a 69-61 lead with 1:06 remaining.
P.J. Alawoya scored 14 points and Collins added 13 points for McNeese State.
Ashton Hall led Lamar with 14 points. Brown scored 13 and had 13 rebounds, Tristan Worrell added 12 points and Brandon McThay had 12 for the Cardinals.
- Saint Joseph's beats Massachusetts 68-64
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Death threats to a ref – the lunatics are threatening to overtake Kentucky's fan base
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner