Moran scores 20, Northern Iowa pounds Drake 81-59
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP)—Johnny Moran scored 20 points and Northern Iowa trounced Drake 81-59 Saturday to take over sole possession of first place in the Missouri Valley Conference.
Kwadzo (ka-JOH) Ahelegbe added 16 points for the Panthers, who won their sixth straight and snapped a four-game losing streak against the Bulldogs.
It was perhaps the best performance yet for the surging Panthers (12-6, 6-1). They raced ahead 46-19 late in the first half, then started the second half with an 18-3 run to take their largest lead, 65-28.
Northern Iowa shot 51.7 percent from the floor and had 17 assists against just four turnovers.
Josh Parker scored a season-high 25 points to lead Drake (13-6, 4-3), which had won 10 straight over Division I opponents from Iowa. Bulldogs star Josh Young was held to just 3 points.
Bradley will pull even with the Panthers atop the Valley if it beats Southern Illinois Sunday.
- Nike releases your school's likely shoes
- Alkins leads No. 20 Arizona past Missouri, 79-60
- Gillon, Thompson lead Syracuse over Boston University
- Temple builds big lead, hangs on to top DePaul 74-65
- Creighton's 113-58 win over Lancers biggest margin since '02
- McBrayer scores 18 as Minnesota overpowers Georgia Southern