Yale defeats Brown 70-62
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP)—Alex Zampier scored 15 of his 19 points in the second half Friday as Yale defeated Brown, 70-62, in the Ivy League opener for both teams.
Zampier hit 7 of 11 shots, most on off-balance jumpers, as the Bulldogs (6-9, 1-0) won their fourth consecutive game.
Matt Mullery led Brown (6-9, 0-1) with a career-high 23 points but was only 1-for-5 from the free throw line in the last 6:53.
Ross Morin added 14 points for Yale.
Brown’s Adrian Williams and Peter Sullivan scored 14 apiece.
Brown built leads as large as 11 points early in the first half. Yale countered by playing more aggressive man-to-man defense which denied the Bears good shots or forced them into taking ill-advised shots.
Zampier’s off-balance jumper gave Yale its first lead, 38-37, early in the second half and then he scored eight points in the final 4:47.
- Yale defeats Brown 70-62
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat
- Sources: Michigan State freshman Miles Bridges plans to return to school
- Isaac Humphries' exit means Kentucky may lose eight of its top nine players
- The 12 most intriguing (or confusing) hires of the college basketball coaching carousel
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Allonzo Trier's return makes Arizona a leading candidate for preseason No. 1
- Roy Williams fires back at Maryland president, calling him a 'double idiot'
- Zach Collins enters draft, becomes Gonzaga's first one-and-done
- Memphis AD's statement on rash of transfers badly misses the mark