Buffalo clinches 63-61 win over Akron
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)—Calvin Betts hit a layup with 25 seconds to play to clinch Buffalo’s 63-61 win at Akron on Tuesday night.
Betts led the Bulls (9-5, 1-1 Mid-American Conference) with 14 points and was one of three Buffalo players to score on all 3-point attempts, going 4-4 from behind the arc. Rodney Pierce was 6-for-6 on 3-pointers and Vadim Fedotov came off the bench to go 4-for-4, scoring 10 total points apiece. Titus Robinson added 12 points.
Chris McKnight had 16, Brett McKnight 12, and Darryl Roberts 11, including 4-of-4 on 3-pointers, all three coming off the bench to lead the Zips (8-7, 0-2) in scoring. Anthony Hitchens added 10 points.
Buffalo was ahead 35-33 at the break, and a team technical foul assessed against the Zips at the opening of the second half gave the Bulls a 4-point advantage.
Akron was ahead 61-59 with 2:51 to go, but Rodney Pierce hit two free throws to tie it with 1:27 left and Betts’ basket gave the Bulls the win.
- American U advances to semis; beats Navy 62-60
- Former Chicago high school basketball standout gunned down
- Former Houston guard L.J. Rose to transfer to BYU
- Arkansas using overseas trip to help mesh overhauled roster
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges