Western Carolina defeats Elon 74-67
CULLOWHEE, N.C. (AP)—Harouna Mutombo scored 17 points and Western Carolina defeated Elon 74-67 on Saturday night.
The Catamounts (8-5, 3-0 Southern Conference) won their third straight game, while the Phoenix (4-8, 1-3) lost their fourth in a row.
Western Carolina shot 50 percent from the floor (28 of 56), but only 51.9 percent from the free-throw line (14 of 27).
Elon led by as many as five points in the first half. Brigham Waginger hit a 3-pointer to give Western Carolina a 38-35 halftime lead, then the Catamounts built a nine-point advantage early in the second half.
The Phoenix trimmed the margin to 49-44 with 12:25 left, but never got closer.
Brandon Giles added 14 points for Western Carolina and Jake Robinson had 11.
Brett James led Elon with 15 points, followed by Josh Bonney with 13, Ola Atoyebi with 11 and Chris Long with 10.
- Western Carolina defeats Elon 74-67
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- South Carolina stifles Baylor en route to Elite Eight
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster