VMI beats Coastal Carolina 103-102
LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP)—Chavis Holmes scored 35 points and Austin Kenon added 29 as Virginia Military Institute held off Coastal Carolina 103-102 on Saturday.
Keith Gabriel scored 19 points for the Keydets (13-2, 5-0 Big South Conference), the highest scoring team in the nation with 96.7 points a game.
Holmes, who went 8 of 8 from the free throw line, made two foul shot to give VMI a 99-91 lead with 3:20 left in the second half.
Coastal Carolina (7-9, 1-3) scored seven straight points after two layups by Joseph Harris and Dexter Moore’s 3-pointer to cut the advantage to 99-98 with 46 second left in the game. But Holmes’ jumper with 14 seconds left put VMI ahead by three points and hit two free throws down the stretch to preserve the win.
Harris led Coastal with 30 points and 16 rebounds. Mario Sisinni scored 20 points and nine assists, while Steven Sexton had 11.
- VMI beats Coastal Carolina 103-102
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four