South Carolina knocks off Auburn 68-56
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP)—Zam Fredrick scored 27 points to lead South Carolina to a 68-56 victory over Auburn on Saturday night.
The Gamecocks (12-2, 1-0 Southeastern Conference) turned a two-point halftime advantage into a 19-point lead on the strength of a 21-4 run in the opening 8:02 of the second half. South Carolina was 10 of 15 from the field with one 3-pointer during the run.
The Tigers (10-5, 0-1) had eight turnovers and were 2 of 8 from the field in that stretch.
Auburn cut the lead to seven points with more than 3 minutes remaining, but that was as close as the Tigers would get.
The Gamecocks forced 24 turnovers and shot 46.4 percent despite going 4 of 17 from 3-point range.
Fredrick was the only Gamecock in double figures.
DeWayne Reed led Auburn with 21 points and Tay Waller added 12.
- South Carolina knocks off Auburn 68-56
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense