Winthrop beats Presbyterian 54-53 in OT
CLINTON, S.C. (AP)—Andre Jones hit a 3-pointer with 16 seconds left in overtime to lead Winthrop to a 54-53 win over Presbyterian on Saturday night.
Jones led the Eagles (3-11, 2-3 Big South Conference) with 13 points. Reggie Middleton chipped in with eight points and seven rebounds.
Al’Lonzo Coleman finished with 20 points and nine rebounds to lead the Blue Hose (6-10, 3-2). Chase Holmes added 14 points and six rebounds.
With nine seconds left in regulation, Coleman made 1 of 2 free throws to tie the score at 47-47. Middleton missed a jumper with one second left to force overtime.
In overtime, Presbyterian only made one field goal, but took a 53-51 lead after Coleman made two free throws with 1:20 remaining. Neither team scored again until Jones’ 3-pointer. The Blue Hose failed to attempt another shot, as they turned the ball over twice in the final seconds.
- Winthrop beats Presbyterian 54-53 in OT
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot