Nicholls State holds off Northwestern State 69-60
NATCHITOCHES, La. (AP)—Ryan Bathie scored 20 points to lead Nicholls State to a 69-60 victory over Northwestern State on Saturday.
Anatoly Bose added 18 points for the Colonels (8-6, 1-0 Southland Conference), who had a season-high 20 steals. Northwestern State (8-8, 0-1), which has lost four straight games, also committed 25 turnovers, leading to 24 points for Nicholls State.
The Colonels led 63-60 with 1:09 remaining before Justin Payne, who had six steals, hit four consecutive free throws for a 67-60 lead with 17 seconds left.
Northwestern State missed three 3-point attempts in the final minute and was just 4 of 15 from behind the line for the game.
Bathie led the Colonels with seven rebounds and Dominic Friend added 11 points.
Kalem Porterie led Northwestern State with 14 points. Michael McConathy scored 13 and Damon Jones added 10 points.
- Nicholls State holds off Northwestern State 69-60
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy