Miami of Ohio beats Akron 64-51 in overtime
OXFORD, Ohio (AP)—Carl Richburg’s layup in the final seconds of regulation tied it for Miami of Ohio and Julian Mavunga scored six points in a lopsided overtime period as the RedHawks beat Akron 64-51 Saturday.
Miami (8-5, 1-0 Mid-American) kept it close through the final minutes of the second half, tying it at 46 with 1:46 to play on Richburg’s 3-pointer. Anthony Hitchens put Akron (8-6, 0-1) back in front with two free throws with 34 seconds remaining.
But Richburg made his layup on the other end, and the RedHawks scored the first eight points of overtime, eventually outscoring the Zips 16-3 in the period.
Mavunga finished with 12 points, Richburg had 12 and Michael Bramos also had 12, including a jumper and a dunk in the first minute of overtime.
Hitchens scored 12 points and Brett McKnight added 10 for Akron.
- Miami of Ohio beats Akron 64-51 in overtime
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot