Proctor’s 26 points lead UMBC past Maine
CATONSVILLE, Md. (AP)—Darryl Proctor had 26 points and eight rebounds, reserve Rich Flemming added 11 points and Maryland-Baltimore County held off Maine 61-59 on Saturday night.
UMBC (7-7, 1-1 America East), which led 49-38 with 10:53 to go, used an 8-2 run that was capped by Sean McNally’s layup to get within 59-57 with 1:13 left.
But the Retrievers went up 61-57 on a jumper from the foul line by Proctor with 58.2 seconds left and the Black Bears (6-10, 1-2) never made another field goal.
Maine’s Mark Socoby got the last of his 20 points on two free throws with 44.7 seconds left, and his 3-pointer at the buzzer failed.
Jay Greene contributed 11 assists for UMBC, which scored 22 points off 18 turnovers. The Retrievers won their fourth straight game over Maine.
Malachi Peay had 13 points and eight rebounds for the Black Bears, who have lost six of seven.
- Proctor's 26 points lead UMBC past Maine
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2