Grambling State defeats Southern University 55-53
GRAMBLING, La. (AP)—Ariece Perkins hit a 3-pointer with 1 second left to give Grambling State a 55-53 win over Southern University on Saturday night.
A Chris Davis jump shot with 12 seconds left gave Southern (1-14, 1-2 Southwestern Athletic Conference) a 53-52 lead.
Grambling State (3-11, 1-2), which snapped a seven-game losing streak, had a 26-21 lead at halftime after Southern shot 23.8 percent form the field (5 of 21) in the opening period.
After the Tigers jumped out to their biggest lead of the game with 15:41 reamining, 34-27, Southern scored eight unanswered points to pull ahead 35-34 on a Davis’ 3-pointer with 14:53 left.
Perkins led the Tigers with 21 points and Andrew Prestley scored 11.
Julius Ingram and Davis each scored 12 for the Jaguars, who lost for the 13th time in their last 14 games.
- Grambling State defeats Southern University 55-53
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina