Youngstown St. beats Illinois-Chicago 80-70
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (AP)—Kelvin Bright and Vance Cooksey hit 3-pointers during a late 11-0 run that put Youngstown State ahead to stay as the Penguins beat Illinois-Chicago 80-70 Thursday night.
Youngstown State (5-9, 2-3 Horizon) trailed by 13 late in the first half, but Bright made a 3-pointer with 15:13 remaining to close the Flames’ lead to three, then hit two straight jumpers several minutes later to tie it at 50.
Illinois-Chicago’s Josh Mayo made a jumper and 3-pointer to retake the lead for the Flames, but Cooksey kicked off the Penguins’ decisive run with a pair of free throws. Bright’s 3-pointer with 5:13 remaining closed the scoring streak and gave Youngstown State a 61-55 lead.
Bright finished with 23 points, Cooksey and Jack Liles had 12 points and Dallas Blocker added 11. Mayo scored 20 points and Scott Vandermeer had 11 for Illinois-Chicago (5-9, 2-3).
- Bob Knight doesn't want Indiana's money
- Tar Heels ready for Final Four push after title-game loss
- Freshman class makes Duke a title favorite once again
- Gottfried hopes offseason changes get Wolfpack back to NCAAs
- UNC: Pinson out indefinitely with broken bone in right foot
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has a sudden wealth of depth