Western Carolina holds off UNC-Greensboro 80-75
CULLOWHEE, N.C. (AP)—Harouna Mutombo scored 29 points and Western Carolina held off North Carolina-Greensboro 80-75 on Thursday night.
The Catamounts (7-5, 2-0 Southern Conference) snapped a three-game losing streak to the Spartans and took the edge in the all-time series 16-15. UNC-Greensboro (1-11, 0-3) has now lost 10 games in a row.
Western Carolina took a 30-17 lead, but UNC Greensboro used a 7-0 run to go into halftime trailing 38-34, then scored the first five points of the second half to go ahead 39-38. The Spartans lost a nine-point advantage and the game was tied at 70 with 2:57 left.
Western Carolina made 6 of 7 free throws in the final stretch and stole the ball three times from Spartans guard Mikko Koivisto in the last 50 seconds.
Brandon Giles added 20 points for the Catamounts.
Koivisto led UNC Greensboro with 23 points.
- Panic level among Xavier fans increases as losses mount
- The Latest: Pastner expects tough 1st season at Georgia Tech
- ACC looks to keep strong 2-year NCAA run going in 2017
- Ducks must handle expectations after last season's success
- Year 2 for Smart at Texas has NCAA tourney wish list
- Gilberts donate $15 million to MSU to help Breslin project