Western Carolina holds off UNC-Greensboro 80-75
CULLOWHEE, N.C. (AP)—Harouna Mutombo scored 29 points and Western Carolina held off North Carolina-Greensboro 80-75 on Thursday night.
The Catamounts (7-5, 2-0 Southern Conference) snapped a three-game losing streak to the Spartans and took the edge in the all-time series 16-15. UNC-Greensboro (1-11, 0-3) has now lost 10 games in a row.
Western Carolina took a 30-17 lead, but UNC Greensboro used a 7-0 run to go into halftime trailing 38-34, then scored the first five points of the second half to go ahead 39-38. The Spartans lost a nine-point advantage and the game was tied at 70 with 2:57 left.
Western Carolina made 6 of 7 free throws in the final stretch and stole the ball three times from Spartans guard Mikko Koivisto in the last 50 seconds.
Brandon Giles added 20 points for the Catamounts.
Koivisto led UNC Greensboro with 23 points.
- Western Carolina holds off UNC-Greensboro 80-75
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense